This is the day of romance! The day when our husbands shower us with flowers, candy, perfume, gift cards, dinner of choice or whatever else they choose to do to celebrate their love for us. I love having a special day to just make a big deal about those close ones we love. My hubby wrote a blog this morning talking about if we need to celebrate Valentine’s or not.
I am so thankful for all the ways my hubby spoils me but today I want to talk about the romance he shows me every day. No, it is not in flowers or candy. I think that many times we can get so wrapped up in only viewing our husbands love for us in what he buys us or spoils us with. I think love is not that shallow. I have told my hubby for years that when he washed a sink full of dishes that screams love way more than a bouquet of roses (not that I don’t like flowers).
I think the true definition of love is unselfishness. I know that my man does not enjoy washing a sink full of dishes. It would be much easier on him to run to the store, pull out his wallet and buy flowers. When he does something for me, that I know he does not really enjoy doing, it shows me that he is willing to sacrifice himself for my good. That is unselfish and that is love.
As I am enjoying the specialty of this day, I am keeping my mind on the normalcy of every day and what my man unselfishly does for me. I don’t want to be spoiled just by special days. I want to appreciate the normal days too. I made a list of a normal day around and here and thought of all the ways that Jimmy romances me.
- He wakes me up every morning. I can’t get to the alarm clock and so every day, he sets the clock and gets up, shaves and showers to get out-of-the-way, and then wakes me up. He always wakes me up with a kiss and a sweet good morning.
- If I am having a rough and slow morning, he lifts me out of bed and puts me in my wheelchair to save a transfer.
- He makes sure that I have the clothes I need, makes sure I can reach everything in the shower, and gets me a fresh towel.
- He asks me how I am feeling and if I need anything.
- He asks me multiple times a day if I would like a cup of hot tea.
- Throughout the day, the are numerous things that I need help with. “Honey can you reach this for me….” is a common phrase. He will stop whatever he is doing to help me.
- He rubs my shoulders when they get tight and painful.
- We are out and about often and every single time I get in or out of my van, he is always ready and willing to help me if I am getting tired.
- He puts the wheelchair in and out of our van every single time whether it is sunny, raining, snowing, or freezing temperatures and never complains at all.
- It doesn’t take much for me to freeze to death. When I get this cold, he rubs my feet for a very long time to get the blood circulating again.
- He gets my electric blanket and wraps it all around my tucking it in so no air can hit me.
- He makes sure that I have everything that I need while I sit and thaw back out – computer, tv remotes, magazine, hot tea – anything I wish for.
- My evening routine can get lengthy because I am so tired by bedtime and so everything takes much longer. He has taken it upon himself to help me. I have never asked him too but he wants too.
- He makes sure the electric blanket is on the bed heating the spot where I will lay.
- He takes off my socks and shoes.
- He lifts me into bed.
- He does the range of motion exercises with my legs every single night. This takes at least 20 minutes of him lifting, tugging, pulling and stretching to help me not spasm all night and to keep my joints from freezing in place. It is not an easy job and he never complains. Actually, there are times I want to skip to give him a break and he will not let me.
- He tickles my back every single night to help me relax and go to sleep.
- He loves to just sit and talk with me.
- He listens to and values my opinions.
- He lets me be a mother without getting annoyed or jealous of the children.
- He takes us on pretty drives and just let’s us enjoy nature which I love to do.
- I am sure I could think of so many more things but this is enough to make this girl eternally thankful for her husband.
I am not so in love with the concept of love. I am in love with a man who gets love. He understands that the way to keep a woman’s heart is to truly love her every day instead of buying her love one day a year. Love is not in the extravagant. It is in the simple and sweet things of normal every day. Jimmy is not a perfect husband, but that’s okay because he doesn’t have a perfect wife. However, we are perfect for each other and I have never regretted my decision to marry him.I love the words to this old song and it pretty much sums up what I think about it all.
My romance doesn’t have to have a moon in the sky,
My romance doesn’t need a blue lagoon standing by.
No month of May, no twinkling stars,
No hide away, no soft guitars.
My romance doesn’t need a castle rising in Spain
Nor a dance to a constantly surprising refrain.
Wide awake I can make my most fantastic dreams come true,
My romance doesn’t need a thing but you.
Thank you Valentine’s Day for a day of focus and fun that’s all about love. But more than that, thank you Jimmy for making every day a day of romance and living what love is all about.
Happy Valentine’s Day!